Im Stadtgarten 20, 46236 Bottrop
The Museum Center Quadrat was opened in 1976 on the outskirts of Bottrop city-garden. Its name refers to the painter, graphic artist and art theorist Josef Albers, born in Bottrop in 1888, who dealt intensively with the interaction of colours and forms. His series of pictures "Homage to the square" is now part of the museum's collection. In 1970 Albers had been named honorary citizen of Bottrop and had donated several prints and pictures to the city, which were to find an appropriate exhibition location.
The basic geometric shape of the square forms the conceptual basis of the building ensemble designed by city architect Gerhard Küppers. Three equally sized, offset steel and glass cubes fit into the green park landscape and complement the adjacent municipal museum of local history, which is housed in a Wilhelminian style villa. They house the Museum of Ancient and Local History, galleries of modern art and a media centre for concerts, readings and other events.
Josef Albers died in 1976 a few months before the museum opened. In 1979, his wife transferred more than 300 of his works to the collection. As a result, it was decided to expand the complex, which was completed in 1981-1983. Bernhard Küppers also designed this fourth, somewhat larger building on a square ground plan. Its centre is the skylight room with the Albers Collection, the gallery offers space for a library and small art cabinets. The large pavilion is connected to the three small pavilions by a glass bridge.